In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Scarborough Historical Society & Museum

The White School, Scarborough, ca. 1910

Contributed by Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
MMN Item 31091 Item Details
The White School, Scarborough, ca. 1910
MMN Item 31091 Zoom

Description

Commonly called the White School, because of its color, this building was erected in 1905 at Oak Hill four corners. It was the first school specifically built for High School classes. Originally grammar school classes were held on the first floor and high school classes were held upstairs. There were four class rooms total. In 1927 the town opened a new high school, a mile south on Route One and this school became known as Oak Hill Primary School. It was eventually sold by the town and is now Arlberg Ski Shop.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.